About Chamber Chat tour and workshop
Please note that this visit is available to UK schools only
Through role play and group work, pupils will learn about the roles of the people that work in the House of Commons and the House of Lords. By experiencing first-hand the excitement of the Lords and Commons chambers in action, in our new 360° chamber spaces, pupils will have an insight into how our democracy functions.
NB: Parliament is a working building and access to different parts of the Palace of Westminster, as part of your tour, will vary due to Parliamentary business.
Your visit might include:
- A visit to the Commons and/or Lords gallery to observe the MPs or Lords debating (not guaranteed)
- Central Lobby, at the very heart of the Parliamentary Estate
- St. Stephen’s Hall, the home of the original House of Commons
- Westminster Hall, the last remaining part of the original Palace
NB: For this programme, your school's constituency MP will be informed of your visit and they will be invited along to meet your pupils and answer their questions. This is subject to the MP’s availability in Westminster at the time of your visit.
Visiting times and information
Open to: UK pupils, age 7-11 only (Year 3-6 England & Wales, P4-7 Northern Ireland and Primary 4-7 Scotland)
Duration: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Dates: Mondays and Thursdays for details, see How to Book info below for autumn term 2016
Mondays at 13:45-16:00 and 15:15-17:30
Thursdays at 12:30-14:45 and 14:00-16:15
Places per session: 32 (to include pupils and adults) Please ensure that you have the minimum adult: pupil ratio of 1:15 for (age 7-11), for safe supervision around the estate.
Due to high demand for our programmes, we ask for a minimum group size of 5 pupils and no more than 2 accompanying adults. If you are booking for under 15 people in total (including adults), please be aware that we may combine your group with another of the same age in order to share to visit.
However, we welcome pupils with SEN - please contact us to discuss your requirements.
How to book
Bookings for Chamber Chat tours and workshops are taken through our telephone bookings days.
We are currently booking for:
- You can check what availability we have left for Summer term bookings on our Short Notice Bookings page and call us on 020 7219 4496.
- We will be booking for Spring Term 2017 in September 2016. Spring term dates are between Tuesday 3rd January to Friday 31st March (expecting half term 13th February - 17th February).
Please note that Parliament's Education Service programmes are extremely popular and fill up quickly.
Before calling us on bookings day, please read our information for bookings day
Information to help you plan a safe visit
Map of the Parliamentary estate