Resources quick links
The timeline shows the building of Parliament from 1099, when it was a palace in a swamp, to the opening of Portcullis House in 2000.
- Watch the buildings of Parliament grow out of a swamp and into the iconic landmark we know today
- Travel through time, from 1099 to 2000, and create their own story of the building of Parliament
- View images from Parliament's art collection which bring these historical events to life
- Watch short animations of the building of St Stephen’s Chapel, the new Palace in Westminster designed by Charles Barry and the rebuilding after the Second World War
- Create a project, for example, a newspaper article, with images and quotations collected from the timeline
Time required:30 minutes plus optional writing activity
All students should:
- Follow an historical chronology of 12 significant moments in the building of Parliament, including the fire in 1834 that destroyed much of Parliament
- Use a variety of source materials, including images, articles and quotations, to understand and interpret the past
All students could:
- Develop informative writing skills by creating a project from a template of a newspaper article and adding images and quotations collected from the timeline
- Read longer authoritative articles as students travel through the centuries
- Carry out wider research by following recommended links to trusted websites to find out more about the building of Parliament
- Take part in a writing challenge to develop skills of interpreting evidence and understanding changes that take place over a period of time
Houses of History requires Flash version 10 or later. You can download this free software and the latest version is: Flash plug-in (link opens in a new window).
Access the Help screen by clicking the button marked '?' at the top right of the resource.
The resource is best viewed with a fast internet connection due to the number of images and animations.
Photo credits and copyright information for images in the Houses of History animated timeline.
Links to the school curricula
View all Houses of History curriculum links for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Writing challenge: a building for Parliament
Challenge your students to write an article about the rebuilding of Parliament after the destruction of the House of Commons during the Blitz.
pdf file - 53 KB