Industries in the UK
Published Friday, October 2, 2015
This note presents data on the value and relative contribution of major industries to the UK economy
Jump to full report >>
This note presents data on the contribution of industries to the UK economy
- The economic output of the service industries was worth £1.3 trillion, 80% of all UK economic output.
- Manufacturing output was worth £150 billion, 9% of the total.
- Construction output was worth £110 billion, 6% of the total.
Employment by industry is broadly in-line with output. In 2014:
- The service industries employed 23.8 million people, 85% of UK workers
- Manufacturing employed 2.4 million people, 8% of the total
- The construction industry employed 1.3 million people, 4% of the total
Over the past few decades, the industrial make-up of the UK has changed markedly.
- In 1990, the manufacturing industry contributed 19% of UK total economic output, down to 9% in 2014.
- The service industries contributed 67% of the total in 1990, compared to 80% in 2014.
Share this page