Resources quick links
In these two short films, Baroness Howells talks about the portraits of Baroness Amos and Lord Falconer of Thoroton, located in the Houses of Parliament. The films are accompanied by a downloadable support pack containing:
- Background information about the artists, the sitters and the works of art
- Lesson plans with a choice of three approaches
- Worksheets for students
Learning outcomes vary depending which of the three lesson activities is chosen. They include the following.
- Compare and contrast works of art and express their preferences and views
- Observe artistic techniques used by portrait painters
- Carry out research (e.g. finding out about other works by the artists, Michael Taylor and Paul Benney)
- Consider whose portrait they would most like to paint and how they would portray them
- Create their own artwork
Supporting materials for teachers
Notes for teachers and suggestions for classroom activities using the videos as a starting point.
pdf file - 8.1 MB
Video about portrait of Lord Falconer of Thoroton
Watch the second short film about portraits in the Parliamentary art collection.