Resources quick links
Help your students to understand the roles of Parliament and government by using this interactive tool to build a diagram that shows the distinction.
They can explore the structure of the government, including the Prime Minister, government departments and select committees, compared to the shadow cabinet and other parliamentarians who hold government to account.
Students will learn:
- that Parliament is different from government and it scrutinises the government’s work
- about the structure of Parliament and government, including key players such as the Prime Minister, the cabinet, shadow cabinet, backbench MPs, Peers, and select committees
Different levels of detail are available at different levels:
- Level 1 gives an overview of Parliament and government
- Level 2 introduces the shadow cabinet
- Level 3 introduces the role of select committees
Walkthrough guides are available to download below, to help you make the most of the resource. Turn straight to section 6 in the PDF to find the relevant instructions.
After launching ‘Parliament and government’, you can also access activities about the House of Commons, the House of Lords, and the monarch via the main menu at the side of the resource.
Parliament and government: Level 1
A basic introduction to the differences between Parliament and government.
Parliament and government: Level 2
A more detailed overview of the differences between Parliament and government, including the roles of the cabinet and shadow cabinet.
Parliament and government: Level 3
The most detailed overview of the differences between Parliament and government, introducing the work of select committees.
Walkthrough Level 1
A practical guide to the level 1 whiteboard resource for teachers.
pdf file - 891 KB
Walkthrough Level 2
A practical guide to the level 2 whiteboard resource for teachers.
pdf file - 946 KB
Walkthrough Level 3
A practical guide to the level 3 whiteboard resource.
pdf file - 958 KB