Resources quick links
A free downloadable lesson plan aimed at key stage 4 students. It introduces the idea that a key function of Parliament is to make and amend law and details the various different stages a bill must pass through to become law.
Time required: 60 mins
Students must (all):
- Know that laws are made in Parliament and that draft laws are called bills.
- That bills pass through many stages of consultation and discussion before becoming a law and that this is a key part of the democratic law-making process.
- Know the main stages of a bill passing through Parliament.
- Evaluate critically different ideas and viewpoints including those with which they do not necessarily agree.
- Know that these stages of a bill passing through Parliament shape what the final law looks like as it goes through changes and amendments along the way.
Resources accompanying this lesson plan include a power point presentation and downloadable worksheets to support classroom activities.
How Laws are Made presentation
A powerpoint outlining the key stages of making a law.