About Debating in Parliament tour and workshop
Please note that this visit is available to UK schools only
KS3-5 English, Citizenship
Debating is the chosen method of discussion at the heart of Parliament. After your Palace of Westminster tour, which may include watching part of a debate in one of the chambers, your workshop will focus on what makes a debate effective. By participating in group work and video analysis, pupils draw out successful debating techniques while learning about Parliament's particular styles of discussion. This programme will support pupils to form arguments, present their ideas and respond to challenges in their evidence.
NB: Parliament is a working building and access to different parts of the Palace of Westminster, as part of your tour, will vary due to Parliamentary business.
Your visit might include:
- A visit to the Commons and/or Lords gallery to observe the MPs or Lords debating (not guaranteed)
- Central Lobby, at the very heart of the Parliamentary Estate.
- St. Stephen’s Hall, the home of the original House of Commons
- Westminster Hall, the last remaining part of the original Palace
NB: For this programme, your school's constituency MP will be informed of your visit and they will be invited along to meet your pupils and answer their questions. This is subject to the MP’s availability in Westminster at the time of your visit.
Visiting times and information
Open to: UK pupils, age 11-18 only (Year 7-11 England & Wales, Year 8-12 Northern Ireland, S1-5 Scotland)
Duration: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Dates: Mondays-Fridays between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June).
First tours/workshops 9:30-11:45
Last tours/workshops 15:15-17:30
Running throughout the day every 30-45 minutes
Places per session: 32 (to include pupils and adults)
Please ensure that you have the minimum adult:pupil ratio of 1:15 (age 11-17), for safe supervision around the estate.
Due to high demand for our programmes, we ask for a minimum group size of 5 pupils and no more than 2 accompanying adults.
However, we welcome pupils with SEN - please contact us to discuss your requirements.
How to book
Bookings for Debating in Parliament tours and workshops are taken through our telephone bookings days.
We are currently booking for:
- Summer term 2016 for visits between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June) are now fully booked.
- On the day please call 0207 219 4496. Lines open at 8:30am. Requests will only be taken via telephone, not e-mail.
Please note that Parliament's Education Service programmes are extremely popular and fill up quickly.
Before calling us on bookings day, please read our information for bookings day
We have limited availability for bookings up to the end of spring term 2016 - please contact us on 0207 219 4496 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Information to help you plan a safe visit
Map of the Parliamentary estate
Tours with workshop FAQs