About Rights and Representation tour and workshop
Please note that this visit is available to UK schools only
KS5 History, Citizenship, Government & Politics
During the workshop pupils consider how representation has developed over time, the challenges Parliament currently faces to accurately reflect the views of the people, and what the Parliament of the future could do to help enhance our democracy and widen democratic participation. Through debate and discussion, students will practice their research and speaking skills as they consider how Parliament could further engage young voters now and in the future.
NB: Parliament is a working building and access to different parts of the Palace of Westminster, as part of your tour, will vary due to Parliamentary business.
Your visit might include:
- A visit to the Commons gallery to observe the MPs debating
- Central Lobby, at the very heart of the Parliamentary Estate.
- St. Stephen’s Hall, the home of the original House of Commons
- Westminster Hall, the last remaining part of the original Palace
NB: For this programme, your school's constituency MP will be informed of your visit and they will be invited along to meet your pupils and answer their questions. This is subject to the MP’s availability in Westminster at the time of your visit.
Visiting times and information
Open to: UK pupils, age 16-18 only (Year 12-13 England & Wales, Year 13 Northern Ireland and S6 Scotland)
Places per session: 32 (to include pupils and adults)
Duration: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Dates: Mondays-Fridays between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June)
First tours/workshops 9:30-11:45
Last tours/workshops 15:15-17:30
Running throughout the day every 30-45 minutes
How to book
Bookings for Rights and Representation workshops and tours are taken through our telephone bookings days.
We are currently booking for:
- Summer term 2016 for visits between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June) are now fully booked.
- On the day please call 0207 219 4496. Lines open at 8:30am. Requests will only be taken via telephone, not e-mail.
Please note that Parliament's Education Service programmes are extremely popular and fill up quickly.
Before calling us on bookings day, please read our information for bookings day
We have limited availability for bookings up to the end of spring term 2016 - please contact us on 0207 219 4496 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Information to help you plan a safe visit
Map of the Parliamentary estate
Tours with workshop FAQs