Resources quick links
This whiteboard resource looks at the different outcomes of elections, including single-party or coalition government, and explains how individual votes translate into seats in the House of Commons
Including an interactive element, the resource allows students to try out different election outcomes, accompanied by a downloadable worksheet.
Three levels of difficulty allow you to tailor the activity to suit your students.
This resource supports political literacy components of the curriculum around the UK.
Students will learn to:
- Translate votes into ‘seats’ in the House of Commons
- Understand which party/parties can form a government after an election and how many seats they need
- Explore different election outcomes
- Interpret outcomes including coalition government and single-party government
- Understand the definitions of key terms including government, opposition, majority, coalition, political party
Walkthrough guides are available to download, below, to help you make the most of the resource. Turn straight to section 4 in the PDF to find the relevant instructions.
After launching ‘Results are in', you can also access other activities relating to elections and voting via the main menu at the side of the resource.
'Results are in' level 1
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 1
'Results are in' level 2
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 2
'Results are in' level 3
Launch the whiteboard resource at level 3
'Results are in' worksheet
A worksheet accompanying the whiteboard resource
pdf file - 224 KB
Walkthrough guide - level 1
A practical guide for teachers to the level 1 whiteboard resource
pdf file - 683 KB
Walkthrough guide - level 2
A practical guide for teachers to the level 2 whiteboard resource
pdf file - 691 KB
Walkthrough guide - level 3
A practical guide for teachers to the level 3 whiteboard resource
pdf file - 701 KB