Private Bills

This factsheet has been archived.

Private bills are promoted by individuals or organisations outside the House (e.g. local authorities or companies) to obtain powers for themselves in excess of, or in conflict with, the general law. They should not be confused with private Members' bills, which are a type of public bill

Most Scottish private legislation is dealt with under a separate system of provisional orders.

Find out more

House of Commons Enquiry Service

Telephone: 020 7219 4272
Text phone: Dial 18001 followed by 020 7219 4272