About Rights and Representation tour and workshop
Please note that this visit is available to UK schools only
KS5 History, Citizenship, Government & Politics
Pupils explore the emergence of representational democracy in the UK and the governance of contemporary Britain on a tour of the Palace of Westminster. During the workshop, pupils consider the role of Parliament and how it represents the people. Using problem solving and planning skills, pupils create their vision of the parliament of the future, looking specifically at devolution, scrutiny and public engagement.
We will inform your school's constituency MP of your visit and invite them along to meet your pupils. This is subject to the MP’s availability in Westminster at the time of your visit.
NB: Parliament is a working building and access to different parts of the Palace of Westminster, as part of your tour, will vary due to Parliamentary business.
Your visit might include:
- A visit to the Commons gallery to observe the MPs debating
- Central Lobby, at the very heart of the Parliamentary Estate.
- St. Stephen’s Hall, the home of the original House of Commons
- Westminster Hall, the last remaining part of the original Palace
NB: For this programme, your school's constituency MP will be informed of your visit and they will be invited along to meet your pupils and answer their questions. This is subject to the MP’s availability in Westminster at the time of your visit.
Visiting times and information
Open to: UK pupils, age 16-18 only (Year 12-13 England & Wales, Year 13 Northern Ireland and S6 Scotland)
Places per session: 32 (to include pupils and adults)
Duration: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Dates: Mondays-Fridays between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June)
First tours/workshops 9:30-11:45
Last tours/workshops 15:15-17:30
Running throughout the day every 30-45 minutes
How to book
Bookings for Rights and Representation workshops and tours are taken through our telephone bookings days.
We are currently booking for:
- Summer term 2016 for visits between Monday 11 April-Wednesday 20 July 2016 (excluding Monday 2 May, Monday 9-Wednesday 11 May, Monday 16-Wednesday 18 May, Monday 23-Wednesday 25 May and Monday 30 May-Wednesday 8 June) are now fully booked.
- On the day please call 0207 219 4496. Lines open at 8:30am. Requests will only be taken via telephone, not e-mail.
Please note that Parliament's Education Service programmes are extremely popular and fill up quickly.
Before calling us on bookings day, please read our information for bookings day
We have limited availability for bookings up to the end of spring term 2016 - please contact us on 0207 219 4496 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Information to help you plan a safe visit
Map of the Parliamentary estate
Tours with workshop FAQs