The Maritime Reserve (MR) is a vital component of the Naval Service’s capability and consists of the Royal Naval Reserve and Royal Marines Reserve.
Defence Statistics publish information on a regular basis showing intake figures for the Armed Forces, including Regular Naval Service personnel. The most recent information is contained in 'UK Armed Forces Monthly Service Personnel Statistics: December 2015' and associated tables, which is available at the following link:
UK Armed Forces Monthly Service Personnel Statistics: 1 January 2016 will be published on 11 February 2016.
The following table represents the number of applications and intake to the MR for the period for which information is available:
April 2015 to September 2015
Applications to MR
MR New Entrant Intake
1. Source: Defence Statistics (Navy).
2. Figures have been rounded to the nearest 10 in accordance with the Defence Statistics rounding policy.
3. Information prior to Financial Year 2013-14 is not held centrally.
4. New Entrants reflect any intake into the untrained strength, and comprise new recruits, ex-Regulars and Reserve re-joiners who required training.
5. Figures relate to the number of applications received and not the number of applicants, since one applicant may make several applications.
6. The number of applications received does not necessarily directly relate to the intake figures in the same year since people may withdraw their applications for a number of reasons and the time between an application being received and an individual successfully being taken onto untrained strength will vary.