Seminars at Parliament
- Free of charge
- Designed for teachers, trainee teachers and education professionals
- Provide new ideas for Citizenship, Government & Politics, SMSC
- Include talks from current members of the House of Commons and the House of Lords*
- Full-day seminars with lunch provided
- Travel expenses are covered for those teaching in the state sector or working in the voluntary/charitable education sector (subject to terms and conditions)
- Download our Booking Form to book a place
* Please note that seminar itineraries may occasionally need to be rearranged at short notice due to the varied nature of parliamentary business.
Designed to provide an overview of Parliament, general seminars include a tour of the Palace of Westminster, Q&A sessions with Parliamentarians and a look at Education Service resources, events and programmes.
General seminar dates available in 2016:
- Tuesday 23 February 2016, 9am-4pm
- Tuesday 10 May 2016, 9am-4pm
A level specialist seminars
For those already teaching subjects such as A level Government & Politics, specialist seminars provide a range of in-depth sessions with a focus on specific topics relating to the work of Parliament.
Reflecting areas of the A level syllabus, previous specialist seminar topics have included elections and participation, voting systems, building a coalition, women in politics, the UK in Europe and devolution.
Specialist seminar dates available in 2016:
- Wednesday 3 February 2016, 9am-4pm
- Tuesday 14 June 2016, 9am-4pm
An introduction to how Parliament works for those training to teach Citizenship, Modern Studies and related subjects.
PGCE/PGDE seminars include a tour of the Palace of Westminster and classroom activity sessions. They also include a Q&A with Parliamentarians where possible.
How to book
To apply, please download and complete the Booking Form and return it to Parliament’s Education Outreach team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all bookings we operate a first come, first served policy based on the date that we receive your booking form.
Bespoke CPD sessions at Parliament
For groups of teachers, we also offer face-to-face training at Parliament. These sessions include a tour of Parliament and a workshop tailored to your specific requirements.
We aim to support teachers in their political literacy teaching and the promotion of British Values as part of SMSC.
Bespoke sessions are available to groups of at least 10 teachers and are free of charge.
To find out more or book a session, please e-mail email@example.com .