Contact your MP

You can contact your MP when you, or people living in your area, are affected by decisions made by the UK Parliament or by the Government. MPs represent all the people in their local area, whether they vote for them or not.

Who your MP is depends on where you live. The UK is divided into 650 areas called constituencies, and each constituency is represented by one MP. MPs will generally only act on behalf of people who live in their own constituency, so please check you are contacting the right MP for your address.

You can use your postcode or a place name to search our Find your MP service and find out the name of your MP and how to contact them.

You could contact your MP:

  • If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a Government office or agency
  • To let your MP know about a problem affecting people in your local area
  • To ask your MP to support a particular campaign that you feel strongly about

Your MP is not always the best person to help with an issue. Before you contact your MP please see our advice on who else may be able to help:

MPs can make confidential enquiries with officials or a government minister on your behalf. They can also refer individual cases to be investigated by the Parliamentary Ombudsman. If they agree to support a cause you have raised with them, they may also choose to raise it publicly in the House of Commons – through questions, debates, motions or amendments.

If you ask your MP to support something that conflicts with their party’s policy, or with the interests of other local people, they may decide that they cannot help you.

If your MP becomes a government minister, the Speaker or one of their deputies, they are still able to help with problems that affect their constituents. They will, though, use other methods instead of raising issues publicly in the Chamber.

Writing is probably the best method, as it provides a written record that can be referred to later. You can:

  • write a letter to your MP at: House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA
  • email them using the contact details in our Directory of MPs.

Remember: always include your own address when you write to your MP so that they will know you live in their constituency.

By telephone

If you are not able to write or you just want to ask a quick question or make an appointment, you can telephone your MP’s office:

  • To telephone their office at the House of Commons, call 020 7219 3000 and ask to be put through to their office giving your MP’s name.
  • To phone your MP at their local constituency office, you will find the contact details at your local town hall or library, or it may be given in our Directory of MPs.

Social media

Many MPs can be contacted through Twitter and other platforms. They may also run their own websites. We have added these details to the information in the Directory of MPs where possible.

Attend an MP’s surgery

Most MPs hold regular sessions called surgeries where they meet constituents to talk about issues of concern. If you go to a constituency surgery, it’s best to contact your MP’s office first, to find out whether you need an appointment. Your MP’s website, or your local library may have more information about when and where surgeries are taking place.

Contact by Fax

There is no central fax number for the House of Commons. Please telephone your MP’s office first if you wish to send them a fax directly.

MPs receive a large amount of correspondence, so cannot always reply immediately. If you haven’t heard back from them after about two weeks, you should follow up your email or letter with a phone call, or make an appointment to go and see them at their local surgery.

You should always contact your local MP first to raise an issue at Parliament. However, if your campaign is of general or national importance, you could also contact other MPs who may be interested in supporting you.
To find out which MPs take a special interest in a particular topic or campaign you could:

If you are interested in a particular Bill that is going through Parliament, you could use the Bills before Parliament pages to look at which MPs have spoken at its Second reading debate and which have been selected to serve on its Public Bill Committee. You can also send in your views on a Bill to the committee as a whole while it is sitting.

It is not a good use of your time to contact every MP in the country about an issue; they receive a lot of correspondence from their own constituents and mass mailings will not get their attention.

If you intend to send a letter to more than one MP you will still need to individually address and stamp each one. If you are sending a large number of letters at once, or you wish to make a delivery by courier, please contact the House of Commons Postmaster for advice on 020 7219 0153.

Find Your MP


The UK is currently divided into 650 areas called parliamentary constituencies, each of which is represented by one MP in the House of Commons.


Anyone can lobby – individuals or groups of constituents, local businesses, unions, campaign groups, charities or commercial organisations.

How do I lobby Parliament?

Ways to lobby include sending letters, presenting local petitions, providing briefings, inviting MPs to campaign meetings or organising rallies. Mass lobbies are organised at Parliament by larger campaign groups.

The House of Commons can advise on how to organise a mass lobby successfully around the daily business of Parliament and organisers of mass lobbies should contact the following offices as soon as possible:

  • Serjeant at Arms' Office (020 7219 3050)
  • Police Operations, Palace of Westminster (020 7219 6882)
  • Operations and Events Office, Charing Cross Police Station (020 7321 7524)