The independent elections watchdog
and regulator of party and election finance

Section menu

Preventing and reporting electoral fraud

On this page you can find out how to report concerns about electoral fraud, and how we work with others to prevent and detect electoral fraud.

How to report electoral fraud

If you are concerned that electoral fraud may have been committed, you should first speak to the Electoral Registration Officer or Returning Officer for your local area.

Find local authority contact details on About my vote

They may be able to explain whether or not electoral fraud has been committed, and can refer your concerns to the police if necessary. They can also provide you with the details of the police contact for the relevant police force so that you can report the allegation yourself.

If you have evidence that electoral offence has been committed you should contact the police immediately. You should be prepared to give them a statement and substantiate your allegation. You can contact the police using the 101 non-emergency number, unless you witness a crime in progress in which case you should call 999.

If appropriate, the police will investigate the matter. Every police force has designated a Single Point of Contact (known as a SPOC) to lead on election-related crime and give specialist advice to local police officers.

If you do not want to contact the police, you can report the issue anonymously by calling Crimestoppers  on 0800 555 111 or using their online reporting service. 

Who is responsible for preventing and detecting electoral fraud?

Local Electoral Registration Officers and Returning Officers, political parties and candidates, the police, prosecutors and the Electoral Commission all have different roles and responsibilities for preventing and detecting electoral fraud.

Find out more on our electoral fraud responsibilities page.

Party and election finance allegations

If you have concerns or an allegation relating to party, election or registered campaigner finance matters, such as spending or donations, then you should follow the advice on our party finance enforcement pages.

Read more on our making an allegation page


Electoral fraud