Monitoring the change to individual electoral registration
On this page you can find out how we will be monitoring the change to individual electoral registration (IER) in Great Britain.
Our 'Assessment of progress with the transition to Individual Electoral Registration (IER)' provides an assessment of the May 2015 electoral registers in Great Britain and contains our recommendation on when to end the transition to IER.
Read our report on the progress of the transition to Individual Electoral Registration (PDF)
Our report on the revised electoral registers in Scotland analyses the progress of the transition in Scotland from the end of the confirmation exercise up to the publication of the revised registers, and provides an analysis of the state of the registers at that point in time.
Our analysis of local authority electoral registers across England and Wales, published on 1 December 2014, has found that the new online registration system is working well.
The report identifies a range of activity that has happened since the snapshot of the registers on 1 December and what further work needs to happen before the General Election.
We have recommended since 2003 that Great Britain should move to a system of individual electoral registration. In January 2013 the UK Parliament passed legislation to move to individual electoral registration in Great Britain from 2014 to 2015.
Individual electoral registration was introduced in England and Wales in June 2014 and in Scotland in September 2014.
So far during the transition to IER, we have reported on:
- July 2014 – baseline assessment of the accuracy and completeness of the registers
- October 2014 – assessment of the confirmation process in England and Wales (data from Scotland will be available from November 2014)
- February 2015 – assessment of the write out to electors ahead of the publication of the December 2014 registers in England and Wales (an assessment for Scotland will be available in April 2015)
We plan to report further at the following points:
- June 2015 - assessment of the effectiveness of the transition up to that point to inform a Ministerial decision on whether the transition end date should be December 2015 or December 2016.
Reports and data
- The quality of the 2014 registers in Great Britain (PDF)
- Analysis of the Confirmation Live Run in England and Wales (PDF)
- Analysis of the Confirmation Live Run in Scotland (PDF)
- Confirmation live run data by local authority
- Confirmation live run data by ward
Further reports on electoral registration, including our evaluations of data matching pilot schemes can be found here.
IER rules and legislation
The rules to support the change to IER have been published and agreed by the UK Parliament.