The independent elections watchdog
and regulator of party and election finance

Section menu

Donations and loans to other individuals and organisations

There are rules on who can make donations and loans to some people and organisations engaged in political activities. The individuals and groups that we regulate are:

  • Holders of some elective offices:
    • Members of the UK Parliament
    • Members of the European Parliament representing the UK
    • Members of the Scottish Parliament
    • Members of the National Assembly for Wales
    • Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly
    • Members of any local authority in the UK (excluding parish or community councils), including the London Assembly
    • Mayor of London and any other elected Mayor
    • Members of political parties
  • Groups of party members (also known as members associations)
These people and organisations have to report donations and loans above a certain value to us and we publish details of those reports.
Members of the House of Commons do not have to report most donations and loans to us, but must report them to the Register of Members’ Financial Interests.

Guidance for other individuals and organisations we regulate

We provide guidance for the individuals and organisations that we regulate to help them to comply with the rules. Please visit our guidance pages to find out more about the specific rules:

Political parties, campaigning & donations