The independent elections watchdog
and regulator of party and election finance

Section menu

Electoral fraud

In this area you can find out:

  • how to report concerns about electoral fraud
  • who is responsible for preventing and detecting electoral fraud
  • about our review of electoral fraud and recommendations for future elections

Electoral fraud is a serious issue and can involve criminal offences

If you are concerned or think that an election-related crime may have been committed you should first raise the matter with the Electoral Registration Officer or Returning Officer in your area.

Find local authority contact details on About my vote 

If you have evidence of an electoral offence having been committed, you should contact the police immediately .

You should contact the police using the 101 non-emergency number, unless you have witnessed a crime in progress in which case you should use the standard 999 emergency line.

If you do not want to give a statement to the police, you can report your concerns anonymously on the Crimestoppers website or by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Find out more on reporting electoral fraud

Latest updates

Electoral fraud