Work experience

The House of Commons offers work experience to secondary school students as part of their careers education, students must be over 14 years old and up to 18 years old to take part in work experience

Where can I gain experience?

The House of Commons is made up of a number of departments and offices. Roles vary from committee clerks to chefs, HR officers to craft & maintenance specialists.

To find out more information about the departments you can gain work experience in, please go to the Departments & Offices of the House of Commons webpage.

How do I apply for work experience?

The application process for the Work Experience scheme 2015 is now open. The closing date for applications is midnight on 08 March 2015. Any applications recieved after this date will be disregarded.

In order to apply, please click here to visit our recruitment portal where you will need to register as an external candidate. You will need to search for the Work Experience 2015 vacancy and complete the short, online application form.

Please note that we recieve a high volume of applications each year and are unable to guarantee a place on the scheme.

If you have any difficulties in completing or locating the online application form, please email where a member of the Recruitment team will respond to your query.

When can I complete a placement?

The placements will last for one week, commencing either Monday 22 June or Monday 29 June 2015. Please select which week you would like to complete your work experience on the online application form.

Working for an MP

If you would like to apply for work experience with an MP, you need to contact their constituency office directly. More information can be found on the w4mp website.

Contact us

If you have any questions about the scheme or the application process, please email 

Commons Information Office

Contact us to find out more about the work, history and membership of the Commons.