House of Commons Information Office

Enquiry answering service in the House of Commons Information Office

The House of Commons Information Office (HCIO) provides information on the work, history and membership of the House of Commons.

Do you have a question for us?

  • Who is my MP?
  • How can I get this raised in the House of Commons?
  • What will happen next with this Bill?
  • How can I find a speech that was made in the Commons in the 19th Century?
  • What can I bring when I visit?

If you have a question about the House of Commons or the work of MPs, past or present, please contact the House of Commons Information Office and we will do our best to help.

Contact the House of Commons Information Office

Contact the HCIO by e-mail

You can email us at We aim to answer emails within one working day of receipt and currently answer over 80 per cent within this target. If your question needs an answer more quickly, please telephone.

Contact the HCIO by telephone

You can call our telephone enquiry service on 020 7219 4272 during our opening hours: 10am-12midday and 2-4pm (Monday to Friday). 

Callers with a text phone can talk through Text Relay by calling 18001 followed by our full number 020 7219 4272.

Contact the HCIO by post

You can write to us at the following address:

House of Commons Information Office
House of Commons


Publications produced by the HCIO

We produce a series of free publications which you can read online, or contact us to request copies. These currently include:

Archived publications

The Weekly Information Bulletin and the Sessional Information Digest ceased publication in 2012, but previous editions are still available online.

Editors: we can proof your content

If your publication includes information about the House of Commons please ask us to check your content for accuracy. This service is provided free of charge in the public interest.

About our service

Our office was originally set up in 1978 so we have a lot of experience in answering questions and helping to explain the work and role of the House of Commons to the public.

Enquiries put to the Office are wide-ranging and almost any aspect of the current work of the House of Commons, its committees, its membership, practices or traditions can be dealt with.

However, please note that:

  • we cannot offer legal advice or interpretation of legislation
  • we do not have the resources to undertake lengthy research
  • we cannot comment or advise on government policy – you should contact the government department responsible for that policy directly. See the GOV.UK website for a full list of departments and contact details
  • we cannot pass on messages to Members of Parliament. Please use the contact details for MPs provided on our website to contact MPs directly.

Other useful contacts

Your question is about... Where to find an answer...
The House of Lords Contact House of Lords Information Office
The Parliament website Contact
Freedom of Information requests Read Freedom of Information webpages
Media and photography Contact House of Commons Media Service
Devolved legislatures Read Devolved Parliaments and Assemblies
European Parliament / MEPs Contact European Parliament Information Office in the UK (external site)
Political parties and their polices Contact individual political parties. See Current state of the parties for links.
Registering to vote Read Get Involved: Register to vote


Find Your MP