About the introduction to Parliament session
Please note that this visit is available to UK schools only.
The visit begins with an awe-inspiring tour of the Palace of Westminster. This introduces the concepts of democracy and representation along with the essential vocabulary students will need to talk about Parliament.
Because the Palace is the home of our working Parliament we cannot always show you everything.
Your visit might include:
- The House of Commons or House of Lords chambers
- A visit to the public gallery to observe the MPs or Lords working
- Westminster Hall, the last remaining part of the original Palace
- Central Lobby, at the very heart of the Parliamentary Estate.
After the tour the action moves to the Grand Committee Room where students will participate in an interactive quiz about the three parts of Parliament. This plenary session will last 30 minutes.
Open to: UK students from Key Stage 2 to 5
Places per session: 25 (to include students and teachers)
Dates: Monday 5 January, Monday 12 January and Monday 9 March 2015
09:00 - 10:45
09:45 - 11:30
10:30 - 12:15
Duration: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Our adult / pupil ratio for this programme is 1 adult for every 19 pupils. Our minimum group size is 5 children and no more than 2 accompanying adults.
We welcome pupils with special educational needs - please contact us to discuss your requirements.
How to book
Bookings for our school tours of Parliament are booked through our telephone bookings days. We advise that you note the booking line opening date for the term you're interested in:
- 2 September-19 December 2014: limited availabilty
- 5 January - 27 March 2015 : lines open at 8:30am on 10 October 2014
- (NB : Education programmes will not run 16-20 February 2015)
- April - July 2015 ; term dates TBC : lines open at 8:30am on 8 January 2015
- On the day please call 020 7219 4496 and we can only take requests via telephone, not e-mail.
Before calling our telephone line on bookings day, make sure you know what to expect by reading our information for bookings day
Please note that Parliament's Education Service programmes are extremely popular and fill up quickly.
Map of the Parliamentary estate