This animation and supporting films and resources will support you to explore who makes up the House of Lords with key stage 3, 4 and A level students.
This teaching resource includes:
- a ‘Jump Start’ animation introducing who is in the House of Lords (3:51 mins)
- a ‘Public Pops’ opinion poll video to spark classroom debate (2.13 mins)
- a short ‘Day in the Life’ film following the Lord Speaker on a typical day (3.40 mins)
Links to the ‘Public Pops’ and ‘Day in the Life’ videos are at the bottom of this page.
The videos can be watched as standalone resources or you can download the supporting teacher’s pack which includes:
- background information about how the House of Lords works
- debate cards to support using the ‘Public Pops’ film
- a The Passage of a Bill handout
- instructions and worksheets for a Nominate a Peer classroom activity
Time required: 30 minutes (activity can be extended to up to two lessons)
Students must (all):
- Understand how Peers are nominated and appointed into the House of Lords
- Understand the difference between appointment and election
- Work in groups to nominate a new Peer
- Have expressed their own opinions to others through discussion and debate
- Have empathised with other people’s points of view
You will need:
- 'Jump Start’ animation ready to view
- additional ‘Public Pops’ and ‘Day in the Life’ videos ready to view (optional)
- copies of background information and worksheets – provided in Teachers’ Pack (optional)
- paper and pens (optional)
- internet (optional)
You can order a free DVD which contains all nine House of Lords What, Who and How films by contacting:
Edcoms, FREEPOST RR59, Lakeside, Rochester, Kent ME2 4BRTel: 0871 472 3016 Fax: 01634 290 175
Please state the number of DVDs you require (maximum of five per school per order). Please allow 10 working days for your order to arrive.
A day in the life video
A short video following the Lord Speaker on a typical day.
Public pops video
A short video of different views on the House of Lords, to spark classroom debate
Includes topics, questions, instructions and background information.
pdf file - 983 KB
A downloadable transcript of the video
pdf file - 76 KB