This episode of Stories from Parliament follows Suffragette Lady Constance Lytton as she protests for women’s right to vote.
Stories from Parliament is a series of audio dramas each telling a dramatic story from Parliament's past. Each episode is accompanied by specially commissioned illustrations and images from the Parliamentary art and archive collections that bring each story to life.
All images subject to copyright, click here for more information.
Time required: 8 minutes (with lesson plans: time variable)
Students will learn:
- Chronological understanding, knowledge and understanding of events, people and changes of the past
- Historical events linked to Parliament and the development of democracy in the United Kingdom
Using the assembly plan for (KS2) 7-11 years, students will learn:
- To explore the idea of fairness and relate this to the historic struggle to achieve votes for women
Using the assembly plan for (KS3) 11-14 years, students will learn:
- To explore the direct action taken during the Suffragette campaign of the early 20th century
Using the lesson plans, students will learn:
- The use of emotive language
- The ability to employ persuasive arguments
- A key grasp of the issues in their historical context
- The ability to set out an appropriate letter, adjusted for the intended recipient
- The ability to form an opinion and present it to a group
- Being able to empathise with people in different situations
Resources are aimed at ages 7-14 in line with the English and Welsh National curriculum, the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence and the National Curriculum for Northern Ireland. They can be used separately or together in three easy steps:
1) Show episode as part of a school or class assembly
2) Use the Fact Files to discover more of the key information around the story
3) Choose one lesson plan activity to complete in class
Download the full transcript of this episode of the story.
Votes for Women - fact file
Fact file to accompany the Votes for Women film in the Stories from Parliament series
Votes for Women - assemblies KS2 and KS3
Assemblies to accompany the audio drama.
Votes for Women - lesson plans
Letter writing and debating lesson plans for KS2 and KS3