Pay and expenses for MPs

The current annual salary for an MP is £65,738. In addition, MPs receive allowances to cover the costs of running an office and employing staff, having somewhere to live in London and in their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency.

Who sets the levels of MPs' pay and expenses?

On 24 May 2011, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) was made responsible for determining MPs' pay and setting the level of any increase in their salary. Since the 2010 General Election IPSA has also been responsible for the regulation and payment of expenses to Members of the House of Commons.

Members' expenses for both Houses

Allowances by MP

In June 2009 more than a million documents and receipts were made available to the public online. These related to MPs' claims dating back to 2004/05 and up to 2007/08. These pages have been updated to include information about claims made for costs incurred when staying away from the MPs' main home in 2008/09 and the first quarter of 2009/10.

Expenses by MP

The IPSA website also includes a searchable database of MPs' expenses on their website. Records of expenses date from 2010/11 onwards.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority

Additional payments

In the Commons, some MPs are paid more because of the special jobs they hold. For example, the Speaker and the Chairs of Select Committees receive an extra salary.

Most MPs who are also ministers in the Government are paid an extra ministerial salary.

MPs' pensions

There is a contributory pension scheme for Members of the House of Commons to which MPs can contribute either 11.9%, 7.9% or 5.9% of their parliamentary salary.

Payments to Opposition parties

Some money is paid to those political parties represented in Parliament who are not in government. This is to help ensure that the Opposition and minority parties have enough funds to carry out their parliamentary role and to put across their views.

The amount given to each party depends on how many people voted for them at the last general election and how many of their candidates were elected. In the House of Commons this is known as 'Short Money'; in the House of Lords it is known as 'Cranborne money'.

Related information

Related information

Short Money: Short Money is the common name given to the annual payment to Opposition parties in the House of Commons to help them with their costs. It is named after Edward Short, the Leader of the House who first proposed the payments.

The House of Lords equivalent is 'Cranborne money'.

Enquiries should be addressed to the House of Commons Information Office, email or telephone 020 7219 4272.