Pay and allowances for MPs

The current annual salary for an MP is £64,766. In addition, MPs receive allowances to cover the costs of running an office and employing staff, having somewhere to live in London and in their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency.

Who sets the levels of MPs' pay and allowances?

The Review Body on Senior Salaries (SSRB) is responsible for determining MPs' pay, setting the level of any increase in their salary in line with those in the Civil Service. The SSRB also suggests the amounts paid in allowances to Members of both Houses.

Members' allowances for both Houses

Allowances by MP

In June 2009 more than a million documents and receipts were made available to the public online. These related to MPs' claims dating back to 2004/05 and up to 2007/08. These pages have been updated to include information about claims made for costs incurred when staying away from the MPs' main home in 2008/09 and the first quarter of 2009/10. Further updates will be made during 2010.

Allowances by MP

Additional payments

In the Commons, some MPs are paid more because of the special jobs they hold. For example, the Speaker and the Chairmen of Select Committees receive an extra salary.

MPs who are also ministers in the Government are paid an extra ministerial salary.

MPs' pensions

There is a contributory pension scheme for Members of the House of Commons to which MPs contribute 10 per cent of their parliamentary salary.

Payments to Opposition parties

Some money is paid to those political parties represented in Parliament who are not in government. This is to help ensure that the Opposition and minority parties have enough funds to carry out their parliamentary role and to put across their views.

The amount given to each party depends on how many people voted for them at the last general election, and how many of their candidates were elected. In the House of Commons this is known as 'Short Money'; in the House of Lords it is known as 'Cranborne money'.

Related information


Short Money: Short Money is the common name given to the annual payment to Opposition parties in the House of Commons to help them with their costs. It is named after Edward Short, the Leader of the House who first proposed the payments.

The House of Lords equivalent is 'Cranborne money'.

What is the 'Green Book'?

Parliament translated

Find more About Parliament translated into other languages.


Enquiries should be addressed to the House of Commons Information Office, email or telephone 020 7219 4272.